There are so many divorce lawyers out there who are truly amazing. But really, what you need to look for is not the best divorce lawyer in town but the divorce lawyer who is best for you and your case.
Tips to find the best divorce lawyer
Here are some tips about to find the best divorce lawyer for your case:
- Ask your friends and family to see who they recommend
- Search online and read reviews
- Do the math. Know your budget and go with a lawyer that fits within your budget. You do not want to be left unrepresented because you do not have the money to cover your legal fees. Most divorce lawyers charge based on hourly rates. Usually the bigger the firm, the higher the rate. Also remember PST and GST apply to your lawyer’s hourly rate. If your budget is $3,000.00, you will have less than 5 hours of a divorce lawyer’s time who charges $600 an hour but you can have close to 10 hours of a divorce lawyer’s time who charges $300 an hour. By the same token, an experienced, efficient $300/hour lawyer will cost you less, in money, stress and time, than an inexperienced $150/hour lawyer.
- Find the right balance between your budget, your lawyer’s experience, and his or her hourly rate
- Ask a lawyer referral service
- Interview few divorce lawyers and choose the one that you feel can best represent you
- Check out their websites and read their posts to get a better sense of their style of practice
Qualities to look for in the best divorce lawyer
Here are few qualities that you may want to look for in your lawyer:
- Your divorce lawyer listens to you, remembers the details of your case, and cares for you as a person. You are not just a number to your divorce lawyer.
- He or she is knowledgeable and can guide you towards the right direction
- You connect with your divorce lawyer and feel that he or she understands your case
- Your divorce lawyer gives you sound advice and does not add fuel to the fire
- He or she encourages settlement where warranted, to save you money on your legal fees, but would go to court when the other side is being unreasonable or a bully
- Your divorce lawyer tells your the procedure that is involved with costs estimates
We hope that you find this blog helpful and we wish you all the best in your case. If you feel we may be the right fit for you, contact us.